Sunday 29 October 2023

The Cabin at the end of the world by Paul Tremblay

This book won the Horror World Best Novel 2019 and it was adapted into a movie called, Knock at the Cabin by M. Night Shyamalan. The trailer looks good. I'll probably watch the movie. I had this book as an audiobook for a while now. Tremblay can write some amazing prose and follow that with questionable grammar that breaks the flow of the narrative. 

At its core, this is a deep novel about the worst monsters out there: humans. Delusional humans to be exact. But there is a scene where we wonder if they are delusional as Eric sees something he can't explain. 

I've never been as disappointed by a narrator as much as the one in the audiobook. The narrator's voice has an odd pitch and tempo, and it becomes really annoying as it pitches down at the end of each line. However, when they lower their voice so much, it just sounds weird and I lose interest in the narrative right away. The biggest issue I had was at times, the narrator used the same voice and pitch when another character spoke.   

This book had a lot of tense moments and it was exciting to listen to at times, once you adjust to the narrator. 

I understand what this book was about and after listening to the ending four times, I get it, I do, but I purchased this book to be entertained and I don't think I was fully. There were a lot of weird decisions all the characters made, that left me head-scratching. And the woman's long monologue that the characters listened to, when they could have got up and walked out the door. 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

I bought this a few years ago and finally got around to reading it.  "Metro 2033" by Dmitry Glukhovsky is not your typical easy-br...