Tuesday 1 August 2023

Undead Part 3 Day 7 by R. R. Haywood

Day 7.  (Side note: I wrote a review for this when the book was fresh in my mind, but I can’t find it on my computer, which can only mean that I didn’t save it, and just closed the notepad file. I looked everywhere for it, even on my work computer. No go. I have read and reviewed two and a half books since then, so forgive me if there are a few installment errors in this review. I doubt it, but just in case.)

This installment is only one day, but it is a long one. Our heroes make it to the fort and are greeted by the police officers from the previous book. It was good to come across them. 

At the fort we meet a host of other characters, one is arrested for being (basically) a negative person. Dave, Chris, and Howie decide to keep new plans to themselves, they feel they can’t trust anyone, since Darren was infected with a flying zombie particle they fell onto his hand and he rubbed his hand on his eye, giving it access and the zombies knew they were headed to the hospital. 

In this installment, once they reach the fort, they know Darren is headed their way. They also figure he will bring a horde with him, and he does. Thousand upon thousands on the undead. 

Like all of Mr. Haywood’s books, this one is fast-paced and intense. There is a lot of zombie killing here, but there is also a budding love story, an excellent offensive put into place and Howie becomes the default leader of the entire fort as well. Apparently, word of Howie and his small band of men has reached the ears of everyone in the fort. 

Howie still doesn’t consider himself a leader, but everyone is relying on him and feels the weight of this responsibility weighing heavily on his shoulders. As usual, the boys are playing their homophobic jokes. Some reviewers hated this part. However, it doesn’t bother me, I understand why Mr. Haywood is putting these lines in — it’s to break the constant tension that the characters (and readers) are under. And he does it without mentioning any derogatory terminology. As a writer, I understand this. As a writer, I would never do this. I find other ways. But we must remember that these books were written years ago, before SJWs and Wokeness. 

All up, this is a heavy book with a LOT going on. The ending is a tad confusing and brutal as always. It is a fun read and interesting as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

I bought this a few years ago and finally got around to reading it.  "Metro 2033" by Dmitry Glukhovsky is not your typical easy-br...