Friday 11 August 2023

The Undead Part 4 (Days 8 and 9) by R. R. Haywood

Part four in this series is a bit weird. It's like a complete change as if R. R. Haywood had a nifty idea to switch things around. And for me, it works. I like the Super Zombie idea and how they can talk. What I didn't like was the change to Darren becoming a zombie. Gone is the idea that a microscopic fleck of infection landed on his hand, and Darren rubbed his eyes, infecting himself. Now, he is taken down by a  horde of them and infected. I didn't like that, also the loss of connection he has with the zombies. Now, only those he infects directly can be controlled by him. And on occasion, another super zombie appears. At first, he is happy as she is hot and they get to do zombie sex (I wouldn't call it lovemaking).

Our heroes are looking for the women and children they sent out in a boat to The Isle of Wight. They encounter trouble from the get-go. This is where I changed from liking the character of Sarah (Howie's sister) to disliking her. I won't say what trouble they get into but what I will say is they met up with a new character. 

There is a lot of running and fighting in this installment, like the others. This edition is good and brings one thread full circle and starts a new thread as well. And the narrator on the audiobook version is as awesome as always. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

I bought this a few years ago and finally got around to reading it.  "Metro 2033" by Dmitry Glukhovsky is not your typical easy-br...