Tuesday 9 May 2023

The Contestant by Nick Thacker

This is the first Nick Thacker audiobook that I have read / listened to. The story is about Josh Lane, an ex-military computer genius who takes a job working for Bearbridge. 

The company implants an AI chip in his head that allows him to do many things that are unclear. The company also gives him a prototype car to use. 

Then he is kidnapped. 

He is to be a contestant in a game. 

A fiery death awaits those who lose a round. 

There is a surprise contestant as well.

Also, the NSA has a vested interest in him. 

This is an interesting book. 

I wish there wasn't an NSA component. 

Nick writes plot-driven books with little detail and characterization. Millions of people love this style, but that's not for me. I prefer character-driven books. Still, I enjoyed this book. 





The next section deals with the audiobook. For some reason, this book was on the BookFunel site. Which means I need to download the app and burn data to listen. That's kinda shitty. And it cant be downloaded so I couldn't listen on my preferred app. 

Was this a computer-spoken book?  There are many clues pointing to the possibility that it was. For example, the same tone was used for two speakers in a conversation. There were so many run-on sentences, it wasn't a pleasure to listen to. Then the audio editing was messed up with several pages repeated often throughout the book. It's a really good way to throw someone out of the story world. 

It annoyed the fuck out of me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Snakes on a Plane by David Dalessandro and John Heffernan

"Snakes on a Plane" isn't just an audiobook; (Graphic Audio) it's a thrilling experience for those who have not seen the m...