Tuesday 1 December 2020

The Vacation (aka: The Holiday)

The Vacation

T. M. Logan

St. Martians Press.


I discovered this new author when his second book came out. I was introduced to him on the book, 29 seconds, and became a fan of T. M. Logan and signed up to his newsletter. Then I bought his national bestseller. The first book he wrote. I didn't like it. It didn't seem to have direction and wandered around a lot. 

Next up was The Holiday aka The Vacation. It opened well and then went directly into character development and the worry the MC felt after discovering some disturbing emails on her husband's phone. I didn't mind this. Sometimes we need big set ups. 

But, there was a lot of unbelievable over reactions to minor incidents and there wasn't a lot of tension in many scenes. I'd say, no tension. The book fell flat and by chapter 14, I tossed the book away. Sorry. 

It was well written and most of the characters are written well. But where is the plot, murder and mayhem? Tense action??? 

I always give "new to me" writers a few chances to hook me with their books. For example, Lee Child's first Reacher book, how the heck did that get published? But from tripwire and up, most of the books are awesome. There are some truly awful first books out there, mine included (Blood of the Wolf -- out of print). 

So I will give T. M. Logan, one more chance. He has another book coming out soon. 

No Rating. 

PS: I just went over to read some reviews. All 5 stars. WTF??? Don't believe them, folks. They get free copies. I pay for my books. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Snakes on a Plane by David Dalessandro and John Heffernan

"Snakes on a Plane" isn't just an audiobook; (Graphic Audio) it's a thrilling experience for those who have not seen the m...